4.03.2009
Adventures in consumption...
So, food/candy/alcohol producers come out with rather odd new products and/or flavors on a semi-regular basis. If you are like most people I know, your thoughts are something along the lines of 'Blueberry vodka/Diet Coke with vitamins/Salsa flavored microwave popcorn? Who in the world thought that was a good idea? And who in the world would eat that crap?' Well, the answer to that is...me.

Back story: I was a vegetarian for over a decade and for six of those years I was a vegan. Dairy made its way back into my life about a year ago. Meat was reintroduced when I moved to Virginia for a few months because I'm pretty sure they don't sell anything without animal products or tobacco in it. Recently I've been living in a house where every other occupant is Asian...like spent half of their lives in Cambodia for two of them. So I've been introduced to some products that are very new and very different. The concept of meat was disgusting to me for a while but since I've cleared that hurdle, nothing else is a big deal.

Cow stomach? Bring it on. (Verdict: Rubberbands in a very nice sauce.)
Pork tendon meatballs? Sure. (Verdict: Bland balls of gristle.)
Pork blood? Um, yeah. (Verdict: Eh, boring and gelatinous.)
Eel? Cool, can I name it Flotsam or Jetsam and pretend that I'm Ursula the Sea Witch? (Verdict: It was cooked with so much ginger I couldn't tell.)
Durian? Uh, it smells like onions and dirty feet, ok. (Verdict: Sweet, custardy with the tang of onions...in other words ew, but it didn't make me yack.)
Chicken feet? Of course. (Verdict: Best of the bunch by far. In fact, I've eaten them on three separate occasions in the past month.)

Well, I'm off to go try my 'Hot Fruit Flavored Beef Jerky (Strawberry)' and maybe some of that aforementioned salsa popcorn.

Labels:

posted by spaghettistreetwalker @ 3:35 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
about me
My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States
Entries...
Archives
Links
Template by
Free Blogger Templates